If you’re struggling to figure out a way to carry more gear on your bike, Tailfin might have the solution (as usual). The British company has become known for clever cargo solutions with fanatical attention to detail. Their new V-Mount Cargo packs continue that trend with the ability to carry gear without any extra mounts that won’t slip or damage your frame.
As the name would imply, the V-Mount Packs use two V-shaped mounts that spread the load with a wide stance on round tubes. The mounts are crafted with an aluminum base plate and a removable rubber boot that goes over top and protects the frame from damage while keeping the pack in place. There’s also an internal CNC machined 6061-T6 aluminum frame to provide rigidity to the back and keep it from flopping around. Like most Tailfin products, the parts are replaceable if needed.
The mounts are also adjustable to fit a variety of frames.
That makes it a perfect candidate to mount between the cranks under the downtube. There are two sizes of packs with a 1.7L and a 3L. The smaller 1.7L is designed with road and gravel Q-factors in mind, while the 3L is built to take advantage of the wider MTB Q-factors.
The bag is also a great option for the inside of the front triangle provided you have the room (or on the top tube for that matter).
The 420D Hypalon and ripstop nylon construction coupled with a roll-top enclosure means the bag remains waterproof, and since you’re not sinching down around the bag to mount it, you can remove contents without undoing the straps on the frame.
Tailfin Cargo Pack Details
- Two sizes, 1.7 and 3 liter – The 1.7L is designed around road and gravel Q-factor. 3L for MTB Q-factor.
- Fully waterproof construction.
- Easy access roll-top opening even whilst mounted, without disturbing the V-Mounts.
- V-Mounts, the rigid internal frame, and dedicated Tailfin Cargo Straps create total stability for incredible performance. Eliminating slip and avoiding frame finish damage.
- Adjustable mounting positions for a custom fit.
- Rigid internal 6061-T6 aluminum frame.
- Modular, serviceable design
- 420D fabric on all high wear areas,
- Five year, no quibble warranty
- Crash replacement warranty
- Ship parts anywhere in the world service
- Weight limit: 3kg
- Weight: 1.7L – 210g, 3L – 277g
- Pricing: 1.7L – £60/$75/€75, 3L – £70/$85/€85
Each V-Mount Pack is designed to be mounted with Tailfin’s new TPU cargo straps with a shatter-resistant nylon buckle that won’t deform or damage your frame. The V-Packs include special versions of the straps and include additional T-Hook compression straps if needed.
Cargo Strap Details
- Ultra-durable and shatter-resistant Nylon 6/6 Load Lock Buckle will flex back when hit rather than deform like an aluminum buckle.
- Load Lock Buckle design enables easy, one-handed strap cinching and reliable locking.
- Buckle shaping eliminates any contact with bicycle frame tubing, preventing frame rub.
- Anti-snag buckle prong won’t catch skin or clothing.
- Tuned TPU (Thermoplastic Polyurethane) strap material offers the perfect stretch, strength, and durability blend.
- All parts are highly abrasion and tear-resistant
- Wide temperature operating range
The packs are available now and start at $75.